Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Decisions and the fear of change

It's been a while.

Five months ago, I made a decision to change career paths (quite a drastic change in my case). I was scared. Apart from obvious fears such as telling my parents that I wanted a change, I was experiencing some hidden fears as well. I was scared to admit to myself that the path I was on was taking me to a place where I'd be unhappy. Scared to admit to myself that my heart truly belonged somewhere else, and almost ashamed that I didn't make the right decision to begin with - after all, it's supposed to be MY dream right? How could I not know?!

Well, all it takes (in my case) is a 4 hour long coffee date with a friend to find myself opening up and finally sitting up tall, and proud to make that huge decision to essentially drop what I was doing to dive head first into something very new.

What made it harder to take this step was the fact that the career choice I had first made was still very fulfilling in its own way. That makes it harder to leave something that you're happy doing everyday - but the point where you start to have this idea in the back of your head, that you could be pursuing something you've always wanted to, but somehow strayed away, is the point that you have to really take a moment, and THINK. And don't be scared to THINK about it. I was, and that's what delayed me in making this awesome decision. I finally made it and I have NO regrets with where life took me before this. That's because it all happened for a reason. I've never been happier to be in school (as hard as it is) because this time around, I LOVE what I'm doing. This time, it's MY decision.

The lessons learned - life is going to confuse you. You're not alone in it. Find someone you can talk to &talk to them. Don't be afraid to let go. Don't be afraid of change. Don't be afraid to speak about your dreams, no matter how stupid you think they are. It's through life's experiences that you'll figure out what you like doing, what makes you happy, what gets you energized, and what things you're passionate about. You'll find that within a year, you can change as a person. You will look back and think about how amazing it is & how you didn't even see it coming. Everyday, things change without us realizing it. It's only when we have to bring about a big change in our lives that we go into panic-mode. Just remember, there's always someone there to support you. Changes can bring about some really rough times. Just keep in mind that end result, and keep yourself motivated. Surround yourself with positive people. The people who dream with you are the best one's I find.

Some of us know what we want to be from a young age, and grow up following all the right steps to get themselves there. Some of us just get confused along the way... and that's OKAY! Eventually, you find yourself doing what just feels right in every way :)

EXHIBIT A - My life's career goals (Try not to laugh)

Grade 8 (Olympic Track Athlete) --->
---> Grade 11 (Software Engineer) --->
--->
OAC (Athletic Therapist for an Olympic Team) --->
---> 1st year Kinesiology (Want to be a Dentist)
---> 2nd Year Kinesiology (Want to be a Physiotherapist) --->
---> 3rd Year Kinesiology (no Physiotherapy, confused)
--->
---> 4th Year Kinesiology (still confused) --->
---> Graduated, went to Kenya (pursue International Development) --->
---> After graduation (entered the teaching field specializing in Special Needs)
---> Confusion sets in again, (still interested in Dentistry)
---> Back at school doing Dental Hygiene (VERY HAPPY - will possibly go on to become a dentist) :)

That's me!

Peace n' Love,
Falon

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm at a point in my life as well, where everything that I'm doing is making so much sense that I'm wondering why it took me such a struggle to get here. But then again, the struggle to "think" as you put it was definitely worth it. It showed me what I'm capable of, what I'm drawn towards, and i could make an informed decision. And ofcourse, the same applies to you. Good luck with everything this year, and the next. Muah! Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Homie!

This is awesome as usual! I had a good laugh at your dreams throughout highschool and university! You'd laugh even harder if you knew mine.

Grade 10--- Astronomer (then i decided I hate physics so moving on..)
Grade 11--- Exercise physiologist
Grade 12--- Paramedic
1st year --- General Science (still wanting to be a paramedic)
2nd year --- Fitness and health (still wanting to be a paramedic)
3rd year - OTA/PTA - I LOVE IT!
4th year - OTA/PTA - I love it...but why stop here when i'm so young!!
UNIVERSITY!!!!...

Now...I could never picture myself as a paramedic...Everything happens for a reason :0)

I'm glad you are so happy with you choice. Good luck homie!

maria said...

Actually, my dream was always just to be happy. I originally wanted to be a graphic designer, but my dad was against it. Even though I always deny it, and say that his opposition didn't affect my decision...I think that i did it just to please him, unconsciously. I chose all my grade 11 courses in order to follow a career in medicine. I'm so unhappy now! It's a nightmare, I'm always worried about my marks, always stressing! Even though I love biology, I don't think I can do this for the rest of my life.

After half a semester of struggle, I'm gonna change my courses. I don't care if I have to do an extra semester of high school!

Anonymous said...

You have to do what's right for you. Work becomes such an essential part of your life that forcing yourself to do something you don't like is just plain cruel. One day you will look back on this decision and it will be one of the proudest moments of your life. Besides, life becomes so boring without some twists and turns (as I'm finding out right now). God likes to make our lives interesting and though it may be scary, happy, sad, exciting, or all rolled into one; it's a great thing because He knows what's best.

Anonymous said...

情色典慾長男同志情色典欲長情色分享情色動慢情色動作情色免費網站情色免費直播情色免費情色mp3情色net情色sm情色tube情色文學情色偷窺情色偷拍t成人貼圖成人貼圖免費a漫貼圖區免費自拍性愛貼圖免費色情貼圖sex520貼圖qq貼圖playboy貼圖h漫貼圖i一葉晴貼圖區jp成人貼圖網kiss104貼圖區kiss911貼圖kiss文學區貼圖區kiss台灣情色貼圖區如何讓女人做愛如何讓女人高潮疊起如何讓女人高潮如何讓女人興奮如何讓女人肛交如何做愛比較舒服如何判斷處女如何判斷健康舌頭如何增強性慾如何增強女人性慾如何增強做愛時間如何增加手淫的時間如何增加夫妻情趣如何增加夫妻性愛如何增加做愛情趣

Anonymous said...

hFalloon. I don't like your goals.

sdo said...

now that you're done school, i want to congratulate you on all of your achievements!!